UGH! Okay, to set the stage, here's what happened:
We went to Cabo for a week and came back with LOADS of pictures (I'm talkin' over 400). So instead of bogging down my memory card in my camera, I uploaded them to Grandpa's laptop in the thought that I'd just get them from him when we got home. Good idea, right? Right. Fastforward to Monday morning and he offers me a memory stick filled with the pictures to take home and upload to my computer and just return the memory stick when I get a chance. Still all very good ideas. I got home and dropped off a bunch of stuff in the office (the kids didn't even get out of the car), including putting the memory stick on my desk. We headed from there to the supermarket and ran some other errands.
Having said that, you would think it would be smooth sailing from there, right?
The next morning (yesterday, Tuesday), I couldn't find the memory stick on my desk. SO I of course, asked the kids if they knew what happened to it and they of course did not know. The eldest began bringing me things that she THOUGHT I was looking for but weren't the memory stick (many of which I HAD been looking for previously, grrr). I mentioned it missing to hubby last night.
This morning we both did independent searches to no avail. He then came home at lunch and we double teamed the office and car hoping to work off of each other's insights. Nope. No dice. He headed back to work having given up and resigned to telling grandpa it was lost. I was frustrated and not willing to give up, having found several little "stashes" around the office of things (my AAA card, stale pretzels, a bracelet, old mail, a camera battery, etc) and I kept up my search. I repeated my rounds again on my knees (to be at their eye level) and it came to me...they play under my desk! A quick search of my desk drawer found another lucrative stash of treasures that they had slid over the back edge from under the desktop. Given another hefty search around I found it! The memory stick had been set on a little lip under the desk and blended (black on black) so well that I would have never found it without being nose-to-nose with it.
Maybe after this my little guy deserves the nickname "Stuart Little"....