Saturday, May 16, 2009
A Mountain Workout
With track season winding down and summer approaching, I am always looking for some way to burn off a few extra calories (lately it seems the caloric intake>output). One of my favorite ways to burn calories is going for a jog. All the area around us is hills so it would be a perfect layout. Unfortunately, up here in the mountains most roads are too narrow and windy to go very far. I do have approximately a mile loop that our house is on but I'd find myself running in circles and I don't do that well. Plus, I don't suppose thered be much tolerance from the little ones when I needed to lock them in a closet until I get home.
The happy compromise has come in the form of taking the kids for a walk. Now, any mother of a 1 or 3 year old knows that their pace leaves something to be desired. I've figured out a great way to resolve this by pulling them in their wagon. They get out and enjoy the sunshine, I get a mile of workout while pulling 70ish pounds of resistance. Isn't it nice to find win-wins?