Friday, May 22, 2009

Twirling Sticks

After making my princess some petticoats (see previous craft post) I had lots of ribbon scraps and several fake flower stems left over. Basically it's a stiff wire with green plastic coating over it. I wasn't sure what to do with them but figured they had to be good for something. Here's what I did:
Trim the plastic off of one end of the fake flower stem. Take about a yard or so of ribbon and tie it to the exposed wire end of the stem. Fold the wire over the ribbon knot and then wind it around the top of the stem to hold the ribbon securely. That's it! For a couple of them I added extra different colors & sizes of ribbon for more flare. Simple, sure, but I'll tell you that both of my kids play with them constantly. Of course, she dances with them and he pretends it's a whip (don't worry, they're too soft to hurt) or a fishing pole, but play is play, right?

PS-I suppose this would also make a great cat chase toy but we don't own cats so you'll have to test that out on your own.