I came across some quotes on patriotism that I found particularly thought provoking today and thought I would share them:
The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them. ~Mark Twain
To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public. ~Theodore Roosevelt
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. ~Mark Twain
If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin. ~Samuel Adams
I am certain that nothing has done so much to destroy the juridical safeguards of individual freedom as the striving after this mirage of social justice. ~Fredrich August von Hayek, Nobel Laureate of Economic Sciences 1974 (you know, back when they gave them for doing something of value)