Tuesday, May 8, 2012

My Bad Investment

Last year my hubby mentioned that he'd like to have another boat.  If I knew then what I know now, I would have just let him stew on it until he found one that he was happy with.  But no.  Of course, almost immediately I began perusing craigslist for things that might interest him.  As we had sold our previous pontoon boat the year before, we were considering the idea of buying another one.  When one came up locally for $2500 I took the opportunity to go check it out.  I mean, they're usually in the $7000-$10,000 range, who wouldn't go look?

Well, the guy sold me on it and I bought it (due to my smooth talking) for $1500!  Woo Hoo!  Oh wait, I don't know the first thing about boats.  But it had a new canvas shade/top.... Of course, the first time we took it out it broke down and my husband wanted to sink it to the bottom of the lake.  My brother talked him out of sinking it and the boat sat, untouched, next to the house all winter long.
Once spring rolled around I fixed it up, painted and re-carpeted it using supplies already around our house.  Hubby (reluctantly) fixed the broken starter and rewired a couple items and I was able to sell it for $2400.  I've got to say though, for the $900 profit I may have accumulated off of the deal, I consider the whole transaction a loss.  Don't ever buy in anything that may cost your marriage more than your pocketbook.  I'd pay the $900 back not to have had those arguments about the boat or feel my hubby's resentment for 6 months.  Some investments just aren't worth the profit.