Thursday, September 19, 2013

The Value of Good Friends

Friends come and go.  It's a fact of life.  It first happens when you switch schools, then at high school graduation, again when you graduate college, and over and over throughout life changes of moving homes and changing jobs.When that original change happens, you may worry about whether the friendship can survive the distances and oftentimes presumptuously are optimistic when it really wasn't warranted.  Some of those friends I never saw again and, if I'm being honest with myself, I probably rarely think of that person and possibly don't even remember their name.

But it's those rare gems that are the true seasoning to life.  Those folks that now spread across the entire west coast for me but may as well live in the next town over.  I have found a good test of the quality of a friendship (on either/both ends) is after being apart.  I can count on two hands the folks that we once spent some very significant time with and now see only on seldom occasions.  These are the folks that when you greet each other it is not uncomfortable.  There are hugs rather than handshakes, smiles rather than silences and you both seem to pick up right where things left off.

I recently added another name to that list and although it pains me to not have that significant time any more, it is a comfort to recognize them as gems rather than feel the loss of change.  I know many of you who read this blog are my gems and I just wanted to remind you how much we miss you all and would love you to come visit.  The mountain is beautiful this time of year and I have a fold out bed waiting for anyone who calls first dibs. XOXO