Thursday, October 16, 2008

How long does it take to make a dress?

It seems like an easy question, right? I mean, I buy only the "simple" patterns and use regular fabrics like cotton so maybe it should take a day, maybe two or three if I'm cramming it in between other activities. This apparently is NOT the case for my otherwise wonderful, loving, marvelous mother. Leaving jobs partially finished seems to have be somewhat of a trademark for her to which I have, in this case, stepped in to assist.

Here's the scene: I am staying for a week at my parents' house. My mother and sister are gone for the day to school (both being superstars and going for their degrees). I am at the house alone for the day with my kids. By some freak twist of fate or dousing of good fortune upon me, both of my kids have decided to nap simultaneously. So what's a girl to do? Watch one of the 1000s of movies in their library? Bake chocolate chip cookies? Ah, you are one step ahead of me...of COURSE I went through my mothers' sewing room. The place is a treasure trove of interesting tid bits of crafts and projects either never begun or never finished. Because, of course, had they been finished they would no longer be in the room, right?

I had previously (and by this I mean last Christmas)eyed a dress in the closet that looked a little big for my size 24 month baby girl (I'm guessing the dress was size 3-4) and passed over it at the time. This time, however, I knew she might fit into it, or at least might by the next time we came up, so I went looking for it. I believe the artifact was initially created with the intention of one of my nieces wearing it. They are now, however, ages 12, 11 and almost 8, so they would be better suited to use it for doll clothes by this time. I found the article of clothing in the exact same place it was last Christmas, hanging in the closet. Upon further inspection, the dress was not only mostly complete, it only required the addition of three buttons! Imagine, all the hard work and planning to get this adorable dress made only to never be worn because nobody put on the buttons. It's a shame really.

So what's a mom to do? Of COURSE I did. My daughter fits in it perfectly and we have added it to her collection. She has a new fascination with watching long skirts twirl while you dance in them so this dress is not only the the perfect size for her, but the long skirt makes it perfect timing as well.

As a side note, on the way out of the sewing room I also found a bag that contained a finished bodice, hemmed skirt and some other fabric remnants all decorated with candy canes, also approximately a size 4 that I snagged and finished as well. Once I finished making it today I asked my daughter to try it on and despite the obvious holiday insinuations on the dress, she insisted on wearing it for the remainder of the day. Her first request was that I turn on some music for her. In fact, she loved it so much that I even made her a matching purse from the remnants.

So the answer is simple, how long does it take to make a dress? About 5 minutes of button sewing for one and about an hour of sewing for the other... Start to finish, altogether, about 6-10 years.