Friday, May 25, 2012

What to Make

I like caramel, especially in apple cider, so when I saw a recipe for cookies that involved both (here), it caught my attention.  I've been wanting to make them for over a month now.  There are lots of ingredients on their list and I thought "I can make those much easier!"  I keep telling myself I'll make this and then something comes up.  At first I didn't have caramels, then I didn't have time, then I didn't have time again...and again.  Today there was no school (make up for lack of snow days) and I had cleaned the kids room and done the laundry and dishes and the kids and I played for a couple hours and I needed a moment, just ONE moment in my day to add to my blog and my daughter ran in to the office crying "HE won't leave me alone!  HE wants me to play with him!"  Then right on cue, my son ran in to the office crying "SHE won't play with me!", "I already played with you!" "No you didn't" "YES I did, with mommy" "That doesn't count" "Yes it does"....

And then I remembered the recipe I've had saved on my bookmarks for a month.  Oh, and I also remembered I had the ingredients!  YES!  I bought them with forethought for my sanity.  I love it when I do that.  Ah cooking, the great peacemaker.  This was so easy that my kids did everything but cut the caramels, and by the end they were on peaceful terms again and my house smells like cider and cookies.  All is well in the house, and I am blogging.

Here's the miracle recipe:
Take premade sugar cookie dough (or make your own if you HAVE to be Betty Homemaker, which I don't) and scoop it out and flatten in your hand.  I don't know how much - bigger amounts make bigger cookies.  Take a caramel (I bought werther's chewy ones and cut them in half, but I figure any will work).  Bury it in the middle of the cookie dough, wrapping the dough around the caramel, thus making a small ball of dough with caramel in the middle.  Roll each ball in apple cider mix and set on a parchment lined cookie sheet.  Cook them in a 350 degree oven until their lightly browned (about 13 minutes, they'll be flat & tan).  Take them out and let them cool slightly.  Once you can lift them, flip them over and let them cool completely upside down on a cookie rack so they aren't soggy.

Voila!  You have carmel centers in your apple-cider-flavored-snickerdoodle-type cookies.  They are delicious and easy and cause momentary peace.  I just heard something break...okay, the moment's over.